images and thoughts from Sean Kramer
"Humans do not live very long,
and having seen just a part they boast of having seen the whole."
Heraclitus


"We make assertions and denials of what is next to it,
but never of it."
Dionysius the Areopagite

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Warm-up drawing and its symbolism: Intro

                                       ('Doodles # 2576' by the artist himself)


Here are some drawing warm-ups I like to do:
-circles
-spirals
-spheres
-spirals wrapping around spheres

These have practical value, and they can be good ways to make your doodling moments constructive--I find they help my hand and my imagination.

But they can also be seen and practiced as symbolic meditations--so I will do a number of posts on the symbolism of these shapes, and especially on the practice of drawing or painting them as itself symbolic.

No comments:

Post a Comment